Just Do Your Best
This is not the letter I planned on sending you today. I was all ready to share insights and strategies about moving and deciding what to take with you and what to leave behind, and the deeper clutter those choices reflect.
But then yesterday happened.
Domestic terrorists stormed our nation’s Capitol building and desecrated flags, rooms, statues, and more. And honestly, I don’t even know where to begin to write about this.
I’m tired. I’m angry. I’m sad. I feel like I’ve been bracing for the worst for four years and it’s been happening consistently all that time, ramping up more and more each passing day, week, and month.
What happened yesterday wasn’t a surprise. The plan was well documented all over online platforms. What was a surprise was how easily these radicals were able to breach a government building.
the best I can do is share what I’m doing to take care of myself right now. Perhaps you’ll get some ideas you can use, too.
- I have deactivated my personal Facebook account. The news feed is so full of hate, anger, and people defending the indefensible, I could take no more.
- I’m not watching the news.
- I’m making centering myself a priority — even if only for five minutes by asking Alexa to share today’s Headspace meditation.
- I am not engaging with those who spread conspiracy theories and false information. They love what they believe so there’s no point.
- I am clutter clearing those who continue to support the current president. As I tell my students and clients, be very selective about who gets a seat at the sacred table that is your life, and
- I am taking much-needed time and space away from any stress-inducing or drama-fueled situations.
While it’s incredibly difficult to hold this thought some days, I do believe love will ultimately win. I pray that someday soon, we can find our way back to being the United States of America.
In the meantime, do what you gotta do to take care of you. Set those boundaries, disengage from hateful rhetoric, and make deep breaths your best friend.
Thank you for this post! I literally just texted my sister asking her to tell me that I needed to do some clearing of clutter in my mind, particularly since yesterday. It’s really hard to describe what I’m feeling right now, but the picture included in this blog clearly sums it all up. I’ve shed too many tears, fears and worries. This was exactly what I needed to hear. My ego needs to be checked right now too. I’m spending too much time expecting his supporters, mainly family members whom I love, to call or text me to say “you were right, we were wrong”. At the end of the day they don’t owe me anything. They love who they love so this isn’t going to happen. Oh, the ego can get me in trouble so often. I think tonight will be a quiet night at home, no tv, no phone. Some meditation, laundry (cause folding clean clothes brings me joy) and maybe a long walk with the pups will do this body good. Thank you for your post today!
It’s a tough time, Heather, that’s for sure. I’m so glad this post resonated and helped. Just keep doing your best!